Finding an Acupuncture for Infertility Clinic
If you’re serious about trying acupuncture for treating infertility, then you will want to investigate information from the best sources. These clinics are certified, professional places that are well known for treating acupuncture, and sometimes specifically for infertility.
Two options: Medical Doctor or Acupuncture Specialist
Keep in mind that there are two types of acupuncture providers. The first type is medical doctors who use acupuncture in their practice (and have undergone the required 200-300 hours of training). Second, there are acupuncture specialists who focus solely on acupuncture and do not necessarily have general medical training (and have undergone the required 2,000-3,000 hours of training, exams and certifications). Which is better? It depends on if you prefer a more conservative practitioner who has a more extensive medical background, or a more open-minded specialist who doesn’t have the physician background. We suggest going to meet both practitioners and getting a feel for their style and behavior. Whichever one puts you at more ease is probably the best one. Also, consult your doctor or friends who have tried either. In both cases, practitioners must follow health regulations in their area.
Infertility is Big Business
Americans spent $2.7 billion at all types of fertility clinics in 2002
The cost of acupuncture treatments is about $50-$100 per treatment, or about $1,000 for a 12-treatment program. Check to see if your insurance company covers acupuncture specifically for infertility because some insurance plans that cover acupuncture don’t cover it when it’s for infertility. While this may sound like a lot, keep in mind that In Vitro alone costs an average of $12,000 per try.
Where to Find Practitioners
A number of organization maintain directories of acupuncture practitioners. Here are a few you can contact:
- American Academy of Medical Acupuncture can provide information about physicians in your area who use acupuncture in their medical practice. Their number is 800-521-2262. To find an acupuncture practitioner certified by the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture (AAMA) in your area, visit the AAMA Web Site.
- The American Association of Oriental Medicine can also help you find qualified acupuncturists in your community. Their number is 888-500-7999.
Some of the Most Famous Centers
For some examples of acupuncture clinics, check out these centers:
- The New York Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs Clinic has locations in Manhattan [(212) 262-9898] and Long Island [(516) 313 6223]. Here's there Web Site.
- Turning Point Acupuncture is located in New York City. Here’s their Web Site.
- Acupuncture for Infertility Clinic is located in Atlanta, Georgia. Their phone number is (404) 255-8388 and here’s their Web Site.
Read on for a great list of Acupuncture for Infertility Tips.